Our Breathe Easy groups are holding lots of different lung health awareness events all over the country for this year’s Breathe Easy Week, taking place 16 – 20 June 2014.
The theme for this year’s Breathe Easy week is breathlessness and early diagnosis. Our Breathe Easy groups will be out and about in the community to raise awareness about breathlessness and to encourage people with the symptom to visit their GP.
Some of our Breathe Easy groups have already made a start on their events – see what they’ve been up to below:
Breathe Easy Bath and District
Breathe Easy Bath and District spent a week at the Royal United Hospital in Bath helping to raise awareness of breathlessness with patients. They also held a tombola to help raise funds for the BLF.
Breathe Easy Haverfordwest
Breathe Easy Haverfordwest held a stand and raised funds at their local Morrison’s supermarket - a great way to reach out to people from all areas of the community.
They won’t be stopping there, though: the group also has plans to visit several doctors’ surgeries in the area during Breathe Easy Week and will also hold an event at Haverfordwest Leisure Centre.
Finally, they’ll be presenting a £200 cheque to Withybush Hospital for three new oximeters – a great end to the week!
Breathe Easy Coventry
The Breathe Easy group in Coventry held an awareness event in the new local respiratory clinic.
Janet, secretary of the group said,
“We had a very interesting morning with a selection of people coming to speak to us. We certainly caused a stir when we set up the table as we all had on our Breathe Easy shirts. We had an enjoyable time and people certainly learnt about us that day.”
There are plenty more exciting events coming up from our other Breathe Easy groups, including…
- Breathe Easy Telford will have an awareness stand in their town centre and will be offering lung function tests on Monday 16 June
- Breathe Easy Fermanagh & South Tyrone will be raising awareness on Enniskillen high street on Tuesday 17 June
- Breathe Easy Birmingham South will be visiting a local school to give a talk to year 6 pupils on Thursday 19 June
- Breathe Easy Salford will be holding a tombola stand at Salford Royal Hospital on Friday 20 June
- Breathe Easy Chester will have a stand at the Countess of Chester Hospital all week long, and will end the week with a stand in their local Sainsburys supermarket on Saturday 21 June
- Breathe Easy Edinburgh and Breathe Easy Dalkeith will be taking turns to hold a stand all week at Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
Find out about the events taking place in your local community and get involved – contact your local Breathe Easy group for more details.