We aim to provide a high quality service in all areas, but we recognise that sometimes things can go wrong.
Your views are very important to us and we take all feedback we receive very seriously. We appreciate all your comments as they give us an opportunity to learn and improve.
A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with the BLF, any services or information we provide, and/or the behaviour of any member of staff. We will treat every complaint seriously, with sensitivity, discretion and understanding. We will treat you with courtesy and fairness.
We are a charity with limited resources and we must use these in the best way possible. This means that there may be rare occasions when we chose not to respond to a complaint at all. If this is the case we will always inform you. This may occur when:
- the complaint does not relate directly to the British Lung Foundation
- the complaint related to a topic we are not in a position to comment
- the complaint is unreasonably pursued after having been investigated in line with our complaints procedures [in this case we may choose not to reply again]
- the complaint is incoherent or illegible
- The complaint has been sent to us and other similar organisations i.e. a bulkmailing. In this instance we will decide whether it is appropriate to reply
- the complainant is abusive, prejudiced or offensive
- the complainant is harassing a staff member We will investigate anonymous complaints and use the information to improve in any way that we can.
How can I complain?
If something goes wrong or you are unhappy with an aspect of our work, your first course of action should be to raise your complaint informally with the person or service concerned. They will often be able to put things right quickly.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the initial investigation into your complaint and you feel the matter has not been resolved, then you can contact the Supporter Care team to make a more formal complaint.
- Call our Supporter Care Team on 03000 030 555 (press Option 2)
- Email us at [email protected]
- Write to us at Supporter Care Team, British Lung Foundation, 4th Floor, 18 Mansell Street, London, E1 8AA
When making your complaint you should state clearly and briefly:
- What went wrong
- When and where it happened
- Who was involved
- What you want from your complaint
- Your name, address and contact details (telephone and/or email)
Our complaints handling procedure
If you make a complaint by telephone, we should be able to resolve it during the call. If this is not possible, we will let you know how long it will take us to resolve it.
If you complain by email or by post, we will resolve it or acknowledge receipt of it within 5 working days. If the complaint is more complex, we will contact you again with a resolution within 20 working days of receipt.
Hopefully you will be satisfied with our response. However, if not, please let us know. We will then escalate your complaint to a member of our Executive team. They will lead an investigation and contact you with a resolution within 20 working days.
If you are still unhappy, you can contact the relevant regulator who will independently investigate your complaint. This includes the Fundraising Regulator, Charity Commission and Advertising Standards Authority.
Details for who to contact for different types of complaints can be found on the UK Government website here: https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-charity
We treat all comments and complaints as an opportunity to improve. We are happy to acknowledge the mistakes that we have made, sincerely apologise for them and then try to prevent them from happening again in the future.
Thank you for helping us to provide a better service.