If you have a lung condition, being active can help improve your quality of life. Our Active Steps programme can help you get active and stay active.
We have a new service to support people to become and stay active
Why is Active Steps needed?
Being active has lots of benefits for people living with a lung condition or a long-term condition, such as type 2 diabetes and arthritis. But most people with a lung condition do far less activity compared to the general population.
We know people's activity levels decline after they’re diagnosed with lung disease, and they continue to fall. People with a lung condition can experience unique barriers to becoming active. Individual support can overcome them.
What is Active Steps?
Active Steps is a 1:1 service to support inactive people with a lung condition to become and stay active over 12 months. We’ll support people by:
- regular telephone calls. We will use motivational interviewing to identify ways to increase people’s readiness to be active. Once an individual feels ready, we’ll help them find ways they want to be active and support them to start. The service won’t prescribe exercise or give medical advice.
- regular e-newsletters. Over the 12 months, we’ll email participants on different themes to support them, including inspirational stories of people who’ve benefited from getting active.
- sending information. The pack includes our Keep Active booklet, an Active Steps plan full of tasks to facilitate behaviour change, an activity tracker and a Stay active, stay well exercise DVD.
The service runs Monday-Thursday 9am - 5pm and Friday 9am -3.30pm. There are evening appointments on until 8pm on Tuesdays.
How can you signpost your patients?
Your patients can:
- sign up online
- call our helpline on 03000 030 555 to speak to the Active Steps team
A member of the Active Steps team will call them back to outline what’s involved and make sure the service is suitable for them.
Who can you signpost?
Active Steps is for anyone with a lung condition who:
- is inactive: they do less than 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week.
- lacks confidence or motivation to get active on their own, and wants support to do so
Who’s in the Active Steps team?
Abi and Claire are in our Active Steps team. Email them at email@example.com or call our helpline on 03000 030 555.
Thank you to Sport England and the National Lottery for funding this service.