What we stand for
We want to see a world where everyone can breathe clean air with healthy lungs. To achieve this, we need the right policies in place from the government, the NHS and other health care bodies.
We know that lung disease and the factors that cause it don’t always get the attention they deserve. We work with policy makers and politicians in Westminster, Scotland, Wales and in local government to change this.
As part of the Mayor of London’s initiative to reduce air pollution in the capital, the Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will soon come into force.
Help us campaign for change
Sign up here to help us campaign for better lung health. With your help, we can make sure everyone breathes clean air with healthy lungs.
Toxic air at the door of the NHS reveals that millions of patients and healthcare practitioners across the UK are exposed to unsafe levels of pollution.
Less help to quit - what's happening to stop smoking prescriptions across Britain (2018) highlights how every year fewer patients are being given treatments to help them quit smoking.
The battle for breath - the impact of lung disease in the UK (2016) examines the overall extent and impact of lung disease across the UK.
The battle for breath - the economic burden of lung disease (2017) reveals the financial cost of lung disease to the NHS, patients and the economy.
A map for better care (2017) looks at ways to improve access to care for people with interstitial lung disease (ILD).
The economic costs of lung disease and the cost effectiveness of policy and service interventions (2017) (PDF, 1MB). A literature review on the costs of different lung diseases and the cost effectiveness of policy and service interventions.
- Policy on tobacco control, smoking and e-cigarettes, Jan 2019 (PDF, 1.6MB)
Our most recent recommendations and policy on tobacco and e-cigarettes.
- Our policy position statement on the flu jab, Dec 2018 (PDF 244KB)
- Our response to UK Government proposals to improve air quality through regulating the burning of solid fuels in domestic burning (PDF, 220KB)
- Healthy Air Cymru response to Welsh Government proposals for a Clean Air Zone Framework for Wales – HAC CAZF responses (PDF, 48KB)
- BLF Wales response to Welsh Government proposals on new smoking regulations (PDF, 146KB)
- BLF Wales response to Welsh Government Planning Policy Wales: Edition 10 - 2018 (PDF, 170KB)
- Healthy Air Cymru response to Welsh Government proposals to tackle roadside NOx emissions – HAC NOx consultation response (PDF, 350KB)
- BLF response to the UK Government’s call for evidence on domestic burning - 2018 (Doc, 35KB)
Our DEFRA residential burning response.
- Policy position statement on Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) – 2018 (PDF, 4.8MB)
Our 4 central policy asks for IPF.
- Response to the RCGP consultation (PDF, 123KB)
We consulted on a new and updated version of the RCGP Curriculum, which describes the attitudes, skills and expertise required to become a competent General Practitioner in the UK National Health Service.
- Response to NHS England review of Quality and Outcomes Framework (PDF, 108KB)
We would like to see the proportion of patients with COPD referred to a pulmonary rehabilitation programme included as an indicator.
- Response to the organ donation consultation (PDF, 92.6kb)
We responded saying we are positive towards the opt-out system as believe it will encourage more people to discuss their wishes regarding organ donation and increase the number of lung transplants.
- Response to the TfL consultation on proposed changes to the Ultra low emission zone and Low emission zone (PDF, 260KB)
Response to the APPG for healthy homes and buildings green paper (PDF, 220KB)
We recently responded to the All-party parliamentary group for healthy homes and buildings’ green paper building our future: laying the foundations for healthy homes and buildings
Response to NICE consultation on smoking cessation interventions and services guidelines (PDF, 174KB)
We made a submission to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) consultation on proposed update to the smoking cessation interventions and services guidelines
Representation for the Autumn Budget 2017 (PDF, 140KB)
We made a submission to the HM Treasury on the 2017 Autumn Budget
BLF Scotland response to Building Scotland's Low Emission Zones (PDF, 171KB)
This is our view on low emission zones in Scotland
Response to the joint inquiry into air pollution (PDF, 160KB)
We outline our view that a combination of ambitious measures are required to make the air in our towns and cities safer to breathe
Policy position statement on outdoor air quality (PDF, 250KB)
This is where we stand on outdoor air quality
Response to 3rd phase of Mayor of London's air quality consultation (PDF, 254KB)
Our response covers the health effects of air pollution, our strong support for a wider and smarter Ultra-Low Emission Zone by 2019 and more.
Response to the government's draft UK air quality plan (PDF, 297KB)
We responded to DEFRA's draft UK air quality plan and outlined our view that this plan needs to go further
- Representation for the 2017 Spring Budget (PDF, 187KB)
We made a submission to the HM Treasury call for evidence on the 2017 Spring Budget, recommending policy changes to tackle air pollution.
- Response to NICE consultation on patient and public involvement (PDF, 174KB)
We responded to the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) consultation on improving how patients and the public can help develop NICE guidance and standards.
- Response to BTS consultation on home oxygen quality standards (PDF, 390KB)
Our response to the British Thoracic Society (BTS) consultation on new quality standards for prescribing home oxygen for patients with lung conditions.
- Response to NICE consultation on outdoor air quality and health
How we responded to the consultation from the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) on their new guidelines for local authorities on tackling air pollution.
- Policy briefing on health inequalities (PDF, 256KB)
We produced a policy briefing on lung disease and health inequalities.
- Response to the Welsh Government consultation on Local Air Quality and Noise Management (PDF, 256KB)
In Wales, we made a submission to the Welsh Government consultation on Local Air Quality and Noise Management in Wales.
- Response to the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee inquiry on the Public Health (Wales) Bill (PDF, 201KB)
In Wales, we made a submission to the National Assembly for Wales Health, Social Care and Sport Committee inquiry into the Public Health (Wales) Bill.
- Response to DEFRA consultation on the Clean Air Zone framework (PDF, 300KB)
We responded to the Department for the Environment, Food and rural Affairs (DEFRA) consultation on their draft framework for Clean Air Zones in England.
- Response to the Mayor of London consultation on air quality (PDF, 228KB)
We submitted a response to the second phase of the Mayor of London’s consultation on improving air quality.
What we do
One person in five in the UK is affected by lung disease. Millions more are at risk. We’re here for every one of them.