Looking after someone with a lung condition

Support for carers in Wales

From April 2016, your council has a legal duty to promote every individual’s wellbeing, including carers, adults in need and children.

The definition of wellbeing is broad and covers:

  • physical and mental health, and emotional wellbeing
  • protection from abuse and neglect
  • education, training or recreation
  • domestic, family and personal relationships
  • social and economic wellbeing , including securing
  • rights and entitlements
  • suitability of living accommodation

For adults it also includes control over your day-to-day life and participation in work.

Contact your local council’s social services department to ask them to assess your needs as well as the care and support needs of the person you care for.

After this assessment, your council will decide if you are eligible for support. This is based on the level of risk to your caring role if you don’t get any help. They will also consider whether you could benefit from preventative services, information, advice and support available in the community.

I have been told I am eligible for support as a carer. Who will pay for it?

Your local council should give you a carer’s plan, which sets out what support you are entitled to, how it will be arranged, and how much (if anything) you should pay towards it.

If the council is going to pay for some or all of the support, they must offer you a direct payment. This gives you the control to arrange and pay for the help that best suits you.

The person you care for – assessment of their needs

The person you care for is also entitled to have their needs assessed. They will be asked what sort of life they would like, so a plan can be agreed and they can decide their support arrangements.

Useful contacts in Wales

The Discretionary Assistance Fund for Wales offers emergency assistance payments, and individual assistance payments to help you, or someone you care for, to live independently. Visit Money Made Clear Wales.

Details of local councils in Wales can be found on the Welsh Local Government Association website

Carers Wales:  029 2081 1370

Carers Trust Wales:   02920 090087

As a result of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014, new arrangements will start in April 2016. Call our helpline on 03000 030 555 for the latest information.

Next: Financial support >

Last medically reviewed: November 2015. Due for review: November 2018

This information uses the best available medical evidence and was produced with the support of people living with lung conditions. Find out how we produce our information. If you’d like to see our references get in touch.