Skip to main content

You are here

Welfare benefits when living with a lung condition

Unable to work because of a lung condition

If you can’t work or are limited in the amount you can work, you might be eligible for benefits.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If you’re too ill to work, your employer will pay you Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for up to 28 weeks. 

Once SSP ends, if you’re still too sick to return to work, you may be eligible for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Read more about if you’re entitled to sick pay on the Citizens Advice website.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) can be paid if you have a health condition that affects how much you can work.

You can read more detail about ESA on the Citizens Advice website.

If you’ve been affected by coronavirus 

You can apply for ‘new style’ ESA if you’re unable to claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and one of the following applies:

  • you might have COVID-19 or you’re recovering from it
  • you’re self-isolating because you came into contact with someone who might have COVID-19
  • you’ve been advised by a health care professional to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery
  • you’re quarantining after travelling. 

If you’re claiming ESA because of coronavirus, you’ll need to give evidence to support your claim. You can read more about this on the government website.

For information if you live in Northern Ireland, take a look at the NI Direct website.


Next: Work-related compensation

Download our welfare benefits information (314kb)

We use your comments to improve our information. We cannot reply to comments left on this form. If you have health concerns or need clinical advice, call our helpline on 03000 030 555 between 9am and 5pm on a weekday or email them.