Big Breakfast recipes
Need some inspiration? Why not try using one of our delicious BLF Big Breakfast recipes!
Makes ~ 6 small fritters, or 3 large.
Small ones make bite-sized canapé style fritters, large ones should be served on a plate. This recipe easily scales up to make a larger batch.
You can make these in advance and re-heat them in a warm oven for 5 mins. They also freeze well and can be cooked from frozen in 15 minutes, best cooked at 180ºC. (fan)
- 125g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and finely sliced
- Handful coriander, finely chopped (leave some for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch sea salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 50g gram (chick pea) flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- olive oil to fry.
To serve: smoked salmon or avocado sliced into bite-sized pieces, Greek yoghurt or crème friache, a pinch of chipotle or smoked paprika powder and sprig of coriander.
- Place the corn in a small mixing bowl and add your spring onion, coriander, spices and salt. Then stir in the whisked egg, add the gram flour and baking powder. Mix well, the mix should be fairy stiff. Add water a tablespoon at a time till you get a looser consistency - as thick as double cream.
- Put a non-stick pan on a hob over a medium heat to warm up and add a tablespoon of olive oil. When sufficiently warm, add around 2 tablespoons of mix to make up a large fritter, or 1 tablespoon for a smaller one, then move on to the next one, making sure not to cook too closely together or to overcrowd the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly golden and transfer to a baking tray to keep in a warm oven while you cook the rest.
Olive oil granola
Serves: 10-12, a serving of granola is approximately 40g.
A versatile base oat granola recipe - get creative with your extras! This is best made with jumbo oats
- 400g jumbo oats
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 75g olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 75g honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- + Chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruit, desiccated coconut, toasted coconut chips, your choice.
To serve: Greek yoghurt and seasonal fruit compote
- Pre heat the oven to 160ºC (fan)
- In a large bowl toss the oats with the cinnamon and salt
- Warm the olive oil and honey together in a saucepan until the honey loosens up, stir till well blended. Add the vanilla extract and pour over the oat mixture, making sure all the oats are coated well.
- Spread the oiled oats on a lined baking sheet and transfer to the warm oven.
- After 10 minutes baking, remove and sprinkle over your chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruit and desiccated coconut (if using toasted coconut you can simply add after the granola is cooked). Stir so everything is evenly spread and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or so until toasty and browned.
- Allow to cool fully before transferring to an airtight glass jar where it will keep for a few weeks.
© Ceri Jones / Natural Kitchen Adventures
Ideas for your Big Breakfast
You could put on a beautiful brunch for your friends or set up a brilliant buffet that colleagues won’t be able to resist!
Goodies for your Big Breakfast
Everything you need to host your own Big Breakfast, from our fundraising guide to downloadable invites!