Skip to main content

You are here

Keep your fundraising safe and legal

Keep your fundraising safe and legal

Take a few moments to look through some of the practical things you need to think about.

Get permission for collections

Get in touch with us if you’d like to hold a collection, so we can help you with all the guidelines for your collection tin.

If you’re planning on holding a public collection, you’ll need a license. For example, if you're collecting in the street you’ll need to get in touch with your local council.

If you’re collecting on or outside private property, such as a supermarket, you’ll need to ask the manager.

Raffle tickets

You can hold a small raffle at your event as long as you sell and draw the tickets on the same day.

For any other type of raffle, you may need a license so please ask us first.

First aid

If you have a lot of people at your event, you may want to consider having a qualified first aider. If you don’t know anyone who fits the bill, contact your local St John Ambulance team.

Food safety

You need to be careful when handling, selling or making food for events. Follow the government’s food guidelines.


Events involving members of the public may need public liability insurance, which you can take out for one-off events. Unfortunately, we don’t have insurance to cover you so you’ll need to take out your own policy.