Responsible drinking and non-alcoholic choices
We encourage everyone holding a Grape Night In and their guests to drink responsibly.
It’s up to you whether you use a spittoon or swallow after a sip, but stay safe by:
- Having plenty of snacks and water handy.
- Only inviting over-18s (of course!).
- Being aware of how much you drink. The government’s recommended safe drinking levels are no more than 14 units per week for both men and women. One unit is 125ml of wine and most bottles have around 9 units. Have a look at drinkaware.co.uk for more information.
- Encouraging your guests to plan how they’ll be getting home. It’s always good to have a taxi number handy, just in case.
If you’ve got friends that don’t drink, but the night wouldn’t be the same without them, here are a few non-alcoholic options to make sure everyone can get involved in the fun!
There are a number of non-alcoholic wines available in your local supermarket that are well worth a taste. Remember to check the label though – some wines are low-alcohol rather than 0% so depending on your friends’ preferences, you’ll want to double check you’ve got the right bottle. Here are a few options that you can pick up at your local supermarket, or visit The Alcohol-Free Shop where you can find a range of red, white, rosé and sparkling, all at 0.5% or less:
Low or non-alcoholic wines
- Bees Knees Sparkling Rose: £3.50 for 750ml, Morrisons
- Eisberg Sparkling Blanc: £3.99 for 750ml, Waitrose Cellar
- Torres Natureo Dealcoholised Wine, 0.5%: £5.99, Ocado
Remember, tasting isn’t the only part of a wine tasting event. Smell and look is just as important and all three together contribute to a full picture of the wine in your glass. You can still include your tee-total friends in this part of the evening – just have them tip their wine into a bucket rather than swallowing.
Why not sample a few cheeses and have your guests guess which animal the cheese is from? Sheep, cow, or goat are just the tip of the iceberg. You can even include buffalo or yak cheeses if you’re feeling really adventurous! Have your guests take a crack at the type of cheese and country it comes from. The texture of the cheese, as well as the colour, and the rind, will all give you clues!
Looking for something else?
If you decide a Grape Night In just isn’t for you, there are plenty of other ways to get involved and support the British Lung Foundation. Think about holding Big Breakfast or take a look at our other events.
Your Grape Night In downloads
We have lots of downloadable goodies to help you make your event the best it can be.