How to hold a bucket collection
We’ve put together our top tips for making sure your collection goes off without a hitch.
- You’ll need to apply for permission to hold any form of public collection. Don’t worry - it’s easier than it sounds!
- Start by speaking to any friends, family members or colleagues who might be able to collect with you and decide on a few dates that work for everyone!
- Be aware that collection dates can get booked up far in advance so aim to be flexible with your dates and/or preferred location.
- We’re here to help so as soon as you’ve got a permit to collect let us know, so we can send you any materials you need
There are two types of collections you can organise:
- If you want to hold a collection on your local high street or public space you’ll need to get in touch with the licensing team at your local council who will give you a form to complete
- If you want to do a street collection in London you’ll need to contact the Metropolitan Police for a licence.
Private venue collections
- You could hold a collection at your local supermarket, shopping centre or train station. This process is usually slightly less formal but you'll still need to apply for permission in advance. Start by speaking with the venue’s manager. They'll direct you to a member of their team who is responsible for booking collections. You might be asked to complete a form providing information about the charity and your collection.
- Our registered charity number is 326730 in England and Wales and 038415 in Scotland – you’ll need this for any forms you complete!
- We’re here to help so as soon as you’ve got a permit to collect let us know so we can send you any materials you need
Making an impact
It’s really important to make sure you stand out and grab the crowd’s attention!
- Wear your BLF T-shirt – passers-by are more likely to donate if they can clearly see the charity logo, so make sure it’s as visible as possible!
- Accessorise with bright colours or even fancy dress - the more outrageous the more donations you may receive.
On the day
Here's a few hints and tips to make your day run as smoothly as possible:
- Buckets and tins must be sealed at all times
- Do not shake your bucket at passers-by
- Smile and make eye contact
- Ensure all collectors have a copy of the permit and authority letter at all times
- Be careful to not block any exits or pathways
- For safety reasons, after your collection avoid public transport where possible when carrying large volumes of cash. If you need to catch a bus, train or tube home make sure you travel in pairs.
- Remember you’re acting as a face for BLF so please be nice to everyone who passes you – regardless of whether they donate or not
- Most importantly enjoy yourself!
Phew, the hard work is over! Thank you so much for all of your incredible support – we’re so grateful for every penny you raise, it really will make a vital difference to our work.
Just a few last minute things to do and then you can sit back and put your feet up!
- Say thank you to your volunteers
- Once you’re home or in a secure location, ensure there are at least two people present and get counting!
- Let the venue or council know how much you raised
- Tell us how you got on and send us your donation!