How to organise a raffle
Whether you’re organising a charity ball or a bake sale, raffles are a fantastic way to boost your fundraising total! We’ve put together a few of our top tips to help you get organised and source some fabulous prizes.
Our top tips for holding a fantastic raffle
- Let us know about your event so we can send you a fundraising pack
- Use our posters to let everyone know what prizes are up for grabs!
- Include your top raffle prize on your poster to help sell lots of tickets
- When selling tickets you’re acting as an ambassador for the BLF, so remember to be friendly to everyone you chat to
Keeping it legal
Due to the laws surrounding raffles there are a few simple guidelines you need to meet:
- All tickets must be sold on the same day that the raffle is drawn
- Don’t spend more than £500 on prizes – this doesn’t apply to any donated prizes
- Don’t spend more than £100 on the cost of the raffle
- You can’t roll over any prizes you advertised for your raffle to another one
- All tickets must be sold for the same price
- If your plans don’t fit these guidelines, give us a call on 0207 078 7912. It may be that you need to apply for a lottery license from your local council
How to source some amazing prizes!
- Where possible, try to get your prizes donated, so your hard earned fundraising all goes to the fight against lung disease
- Get in touch and ask us for an authorisation letter. You can use this to show businesses who you’re fundraising for, and ask for some great donations
- Think carefully about who is coming to your event and what type of prizes they’d like to win
- Start local and ask in person – it’s much harder to say no face to face!
- Ask, Ask, Ask – the worse that can happen is you’ll hear “no”
- Ask your friends and family to ask their networks for prize donations too – the more people asking the more success you’ll have
- Make sure you’ve got a few BLF facts ready to go, just in case anyone asks about why you’ve chosen to support us
Some quick facts about us
When you’re selling raffle tickets you’re likely to be asked about us, so it’s often helpful to have a few facts up your sleeve.
- Somebody dies from lung disease in the UK every 5 minutes
- 1 in 5 people in the UK have been diagnosed with a lung disease
- We’re the only UK charity looking after the nation’s lungs
- We fund research to find new ways to prevent, treat and cure lung disease
- We provide support to everyone living with lung disease
- We campaign for clean air and better services
Phew, the hard work is over! Thank you so much for all of your incredible support – we’re so grateful for every penny you raise, it really will make a vital difference to our work.
Once you’ve counted up all the pennies, get in touch so you can pay in your donation.