What is telehealth?
Telehealth is when technology is used to help you manage your health condition.
It was first introduced as a way to provide care to people who live in remote areas. More recently though, it’s seen as a way to bridge the gap between professional care and self-management, helping to reduce hospital trips.
Everyone is different, and what works for one person may not work for the next. If you’ve been offered technology to help you manage your lung condition, it’s important you have the skills to be able to make the most of it.
There are different types of telehealth available, including:
- telephone/videophone calls to a health care professional
- apps where you can order prescriptions or book GP appointments etc.
What are the benefits and who would benefit from telehealth?
Telehealth can offer benefits to a range of people, including:
- help for those who live in remote areas to get medical help
- a means for those who can’t easily drive but need to have regular health care professional appointments
- it can be an ease for family members who care for someone with a health condition, as you can find information without visiting a health care professional
- it benefits GPs and other health care professionals as they have fewer appointments and can prioritise patients with more severe concerns
To find out more about telehealth and how it could benefit you, please do ask your GP or health care professional or call our helpline on 03000 030 555 for more information.
The NHS app
The NHS app is a self-management app that lets you access medical information and communicate with your GP.
Self-management apps help you manage your condition yourself. This will in turn reduce the number of doctor's appointments you need.
The NHS app allows you to do the following:
- check your symptoms
- book appointments
- order repeat prescriptions
- view your medical record
- register to be an organ donor
- choose how the NHS uses your data
This app is one of our featured self-management apps. Find out more about the benefits it can offer.