Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the health information on our website, the British Lung Foundation wishes to emphasise that the contents of the site and the information held on associated servers are naturally subject to change and are regularly reviewed and updated as required.
If you are in any doubt whatsoever, please consult a doctor.
Use of the information and data contained on this website and server(s) is at your sole risk. It is the responsibility of the user/reader to check the accuracy of relevant facts and information with the British Lung Foundation before entering any commitment based upon them.
Because every individual has their own specific health needs and the British Lung Foundation can only offer general advice on our website the organisation cannot be held responsible for any action taken as a result of viewing or downloading any material on this site.
If you use automatic language translation services in connection with this website and associated server(s) please be aware that you do so at your own risk.
All material housed on this website and associated server(s) operated by the British Lung Foundation and agents operating on its behalf, unless otherwise acknowledged is copyright of the British Lung Foundation.
This material, whether text, images, sound or other media forms, cannot be republished without permission. Permission is hereby granted for such material to be viewed, stored, or output as 'hard copy', for individual, non-commercial use only.
Where individual authors are credited, each asserts his or her moral right to be identified as the author of that material.
If you wish to link to any of the material on our website or server(s), incorporate any of our images in your own material, or use any of our images as links, then before doing so you must contact the named author (if given) or contact the British Lung Foundation. Thank you.
The balloon logo and words British Lung Foundation are registered trademarks and cannot be used without the permission of the British Lung Foundation.
What personal information do we collect?
Personal information is information that can be used to identify you. It can include your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number, fax number and credit/debit card details.
We may collect personal information when you ask about our activities, register with us as a member, order products and services (such as publications), make a donation to us, or otherwise give us your personal information.
We may obtain personal information about you from other sources, such as other organisations, family members or friends contacting us on your behalf.
Credit card details
We do not store credit card details and we only share customer credit card details with our agencies involved in processing your donations/purchases.
How do we use your information?
- We use your personal information to give you the information, services, or products you ask for.
- We use your information for internal administrative purposes (such as our accounting and records), and to let you know about changes to our services or policies.
- We may use your information to send you communications about our work and how you can support our work, for example, information about our campaigns, volunteering and fundraising activities. You can let us know if you would prefer not to receive these communications at any time by contacting us either via our helpline on 03000 030 555, by post at 73-75 Goswell Road, London EC1V 7ER or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We may combine your information with other information (for example, from public records or on social media) to better help us offer you more appropriate services.
- We may also use your personal information to append additional personal details obtained via third parties (such as wealth screening and appending telephone numbers from other sources). This will allow us to create a profile of your interests and preferences. We do this to help us determine whether and in what ways you might be interested in helping us or getting involved in our activities, such as fundraising. You can let us know at any time if you would prefer us not to do this by contacting us either via our helpline on 03000 030 555, by post at 73-75 Goswell Road, London EC1V 7ER or emailing us at email@example.com.
- We may use your personal information to investigate, and respond to, complaints, legal claims etc.
- We use your personal information to claim Gift Aid on your donations.
The British Lung Foundation is responsible for collecting your personal information. Any information we collect is stored and processed in the UK.
We reserve the right to share your personal information if we are legally obliged to and to enable us to apply our terms and conditions and other agreements.
Who do we share your information with?
We will not sell your details to any third parties, but we may sometimes share your information with our trusted service providers who are authorised to work on our behalf, our trading companies and associated organisations. This includes organisations who fundraise on our behalf and also companies who provide profiling services, such as wealth screening and data mining.
In addition, from time to time we may exchange your personal information with other organisations for the purposes of fraud and credit risk reduction. We may also share information with our financial and legal advisers for the purposes of obtaining advice and protecting our legal rights.
When we collect your personal information we use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access. However, while we try to protect your personal information, British Lung Foundation cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
How do we protect personal information?
We use a secure server when you make a donation via our website. We also take appropriate measures to ensure that the information disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate and up to date and kept only for so long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used.
Examples of the sort of information that is collected via session cookies are provided below. This list is not exhaustive:
- The last search term that you used within the site
- Your preference in terms of accessible viewing options
- A unique ID to track your session from page to page, which is vitally important should you sign into the site
- Which page you are looking at within a multi-paged index of content, or search results.
Certain cookies are persistent, meaning that they last beyond your session, enabling an enhanced user-experience when you return to the site. Some examples might include:
- The option to 'remember my username' when signing-in to the site
- The fact that you have voted in a poll, so that you are prevented from voting multiple times
- Accessing and updating your personal information held by the British Lung Foundation
Accessing and updating your personal information
You can ask us what information we hold about you by contacting us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please keep us up to date by letting us know if any of your information has changed
The British Lung Foundation endeavours to comply with the letter and the spirit of the Data Protection Act 1998.
Changes to this policy