Breathing and lung function tests
Lots of tests can be done to investigate breathing problems. This information will tell you what to expect.
- How can I prepare for a breathing or lung function test?
- Tests for breathing
- Tests for oxygen levels
- What is exercise capacity? How is it measured?
- Tests to measure breathing during sleep
- How do health care professionals measure the sensitivity of the airways?
- Which scans are used to take a picture of the lungs?
- Which tests are used to look inside the lungs?
We also have information about what each test involves.
We’re grateful to the Association for Respiratory Technology and Physiology for its help in creating this information.
Find out if there is a BLF Support group or Singing for Lung Health group running in your area here, (some of our groups also run online on Zoom)
Find support in your area
Coronavirus: what to do if you live with a lung condition
Our medical director, Nick, explains how to protect yourself from this and other viruses.