Exercising safely: exercise video
This video explains how you can exercise safely.
This videos lasts 2 minutes and 2 seconds and gives tips on how to exercise safely.
Our top tips for exercising safely
- start slowly and gradually build up
- warm up before and cool down after exercising
- carry your reliever inhaler and/or glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) spray if you have them - use them when you need to
- wear loose, comfortable clothing and supportive non-slip shoes, like trainers
- drink plenty of water and wait for at least an hour after eating before you exercise
- use oxygen at your regular setting when exercising (if you normally use oxygen, even for just some of the time or overnight)
- be active at a level that’s right for you
- talk to your health care professional if exercise makes your chest feel tight or wheezy - you may find it beneficial to take a reliever inhaler 5-20 minutes before your exercise session, but you should discuss this with your health care professional first.
This information was reviewed in January 2021. The next review date is January 2024.
We’ve developed this information in partnership with, and with funding from, Boehringer Ingelheim.