How does research change lives?
We’re on a mission to make sure that one day everyone breathes clear air with healthy lungs. That’s why funding research into lung disease is such an important part of what we do.
Join a group
“Give it a go. You don’t have to be a good singer, you just have to want to help try and improve yourself." Lynne
You don’t need any musical ability or experience to join a singing group. Some people are reluctant to give it a go because they feel they can’t sing.
But you don’t need to be an amazing singer to benefit from learning the breathing exercises, singing in a group, and meeting other people with a lung condition. And you may find that you can sing better than you think!
“Many come along feeling sceptical, not really sure how it will help. And most of them have stuck with it, and now really look forward to coming back and singing with us all.” John
How can I get involved in a BLF singing group?
You can search for a group near you or call our helpline on 03000 030 555, Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. The groups listed are either supported by the BLF or independent.
- BLF-supported group is described as “led by a local singing leader who has taken part in our singing programme”. This means the leader has been trained to lead singing groups for people with lung conditions.
- We list some independent singing groups so as many people as possible can access this type of support. You may find joining an independent singing group or choir fun, but we can’t comment on their ability to improve your health or wellbeing.
How can I become a BLF singing leader?
We are looking for leaders in Wales who can set up singing for lung health groups and are:
- Able to develop groups that will be sustained beyond the funding period
- Are singing teachers, community choir leaders or music therapists who are confident with their group leading skills
- Have a core of repertoire which can be taught by ear
- Can deliver some simple physical, breath and vocal warm up exercises
- Ideally have a knowledge of the basic anatomy and physiology of the respiratory and vocal mechanism as well
- Ideally have an understanding of the appropriate structural support for optimum singing
If you are based in Wales, and would like to become a BLF singing leader and set up your own group, please email us at email@example.com to find out more.