For more information about welfare benefits, call our helpline on 03000 030 555.
Ringing our helpline never costs more than a local call. Lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
If your condition is caused by work that you do, you could be entitled to compensation.
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)
You might get IIDB if you’re ill or disabled as a result of a disease caused by your work.
You can claim if, due to your work, you've been affected by:
- a disease caused by working with asbestos
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- pneumoconiosis (including silicosis)
- primary lung cancer where there is evidence of silicosis or asbestosis
- diseases caused by exposure to certain toxic chemicals
- diseases caused by exposure to non-toxic biological agents such as animals, plants and other organisms – for example, extrinsic allergic alveolitis
You must have done certain types of work to be eligible. The amount you can get depends on how serious your disability is. But you can't claim if you were self-employed.
IIDB is non-means-tested and non-contributory. Claim forms are available from Gov.uk or by calling the Barrow Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre on 0800 121 8379. Find out more from our helpline on 03000 030 555.
Benefits for carers
If you look after someone with substantial caring needs, are over 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them, you can claim Carer’s Allowance.
There are a number of top-up benefits that could aid you if you have a low income.