How to hold a family fun day
To get you started, here are our top tips for organising a fun filled event.
The first thing to think about is what you’re going to organise. Think about what your friends, family and local community would enjoy and who can help you out.
- Why not organise a fete for your local community? Recruit a couple of friends to run a tombola, table top sale and lucky dip
- Host a sports day or a sports tournament for your friends and family. Bring along a picnic and make a day of it
- Hold a fun packed day for the kids. There are lots of options, from face painting to hiring a bouncy castle – simply charge a small donation per child
- Once you’ve decided what you’re going to do it’s time to get planning
- Start by finding a venue. You could try a local park, village hall, pub with a big garden or your own home! Don’t forget to ask venues for a charity discount
- Choose a date and time – try to think of who you’re inviting and pick a time that’ll work for them
- Delegate different people to organise stalls or attractions
- Get inviting people – make sure you invite people early so they can get it in their diaries! Shout about your event on social media, and use our invites and posters to spread the word
- Let us know - we’re here to help! We can provide you with everything from banners and balloons to collection boxes!
- Make sure you ask your venue or suppliers if they need you to have insurance
Our top tips for fundraising success!
- The easiest way to raise funds will be to ask everyone who attends to pay an entry fee
- You may also want to charge people to enter games and competitions. Just make sure you offer some fun prizes!
- Organise a raffle – it’s a great way to boost your fundraising total – download our how to guide for extra help. Don’t forget to ask a few friends to help sell tickets on the day
- Ask for freebies – from prizes to a free venue, the worst that can happen is they say no! Contact us for an authorisation letter to show businesses you’re fundraising for us
- Ask a local café or restaurant to cater the event and see if they’ll include a small donation in their price
- Ask your local ice cream van to come along and sell to your guests – perfect way to end your event, no matter what the weather is!
On the day
Just a few hints and tips to make sure your event runs smoothly!
- Arrive nice and early to give yourself lots of time to set up
- Recruit lots of friends to help on the day
- Make sure you have a contingency plan in case of bad weather
- Decorate the venue with our balloons, banners and collection boxes. Give us a call a few weeks before the event and we’ll get some sent out to you
- Try to find 5 minutes to tell your guests why you’ve chosen to support us – it can really help bring the donations in!
Phew, the hard work is over! Thank you so much for all of your incredible support – we’re so grateful for every penny you raise, it really will make a huge difference to our work.
Don’t forget to tell us how you got on and send us your donations. We'd also love to see any photos from the day. Now you can sit back and put your feet up!