2016-17 was an amazing year for us, packed with firsts and lots of best evers! Here's what we've achieved.
"Making sure everyone can breathe clean air with healthy lungs is a huge task. Your passion, energy and commitment are inspiring. I'm sure we have another great year ahead."
We invested £2.2m in research, our highest ever. Our amazing fundraisers raised over £1m, another new record.
And we helped over 300,000 people get answers about their lung health with our award-winning breath test.
Here's what we've done in the past year to give people with lung conditions hope, help, and a voice.
Hope: investing in research
"In 10 years' time, the number of deaths from lung disease could be cut significantly if we act now." Helen, lay member of our research committee
We've been leading research into all lung conditions for over 30 years. Here's what we've achieved over the past year.
- We invested over £2.2m in research - the highest annual total in our history!
- Our researchers developed the first ever UK guidelines for a rare lung disease called granulomatous-lymphocytic interstitial lung disease (GLILD).
- We have 19 new research projects, focusing on COPD, lung cancer, pulmonary fibrosis and mesothelioma.
- We received £5m to fund mesothelioma research from the Victor Philip Dahdaleh Charitable Foundation, working towards a cure for the condition.
Some projects will run over more than one year, and we've set aside the money now.
Help: supporting people with lung conditions
"I've gone from darkness to light. It's helped me combat depression and brought back my ability to be active." Natalie, Keep active, keep well participant
Our helpline, Breathe Easy groups, singing, exercise and other projects continued to make a huge difference to people with lung conditions.
- We spend £2.18m funding our patient support and services.
- Thousands of people with lung conditions were able to continue attending one of our 230 Breathe Easy groups. We also secured funding to create a further 60.
- 300,000 of you took our online breath test, part of our Listen to your lungs campaign (which later won an award from the Drum).
- Our helpline answered 20,000 of your calls, and 3,559 of your emails.
A voice: calling for change
"While people with lung conditions are forced to stay indoors, traffic that causes the problem can continue as usual. That's not good enough." Catherine
Our campaigns for healthy lungs and clean air led to real change.
- We spend £1.97m funding policy, campaigns and prevention work.
- 1,500 of you joined our Battle for Breath campaign, calling on the government to make lung disease a priority.
- We influenced the new Public Health (Wales) Act 2017, which banned smoking banned in school grounds, public playgrounds, outdoor areas of registered childcare settings and hospital grounds.
- We set up a new cross-party group on lung health in Scotland, with Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland.
Of course, we couldn’t have done any of this without you. A big thank you to all our amazing supporters and volunteers, who this year raised over £1m and gave their time and energy. You surpassed yourselves. Together, we've achieved a lot to be proud of.